TIMY Time and Attendance Clocking System :
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Is the TIMY Time Attendance Clocking System limited to any number of Employees ?
- 2. If I want to add more Employees to the system what costs are involved ?
- 3. How are the badges numbered ?
- 4. What are the badge dimensions ?
- 5. Can a former Employee's badge be re-used ?
- 6. What happens if an Employee loses his badge ?
- 7. Can the Time and Attendance System's data be downloaded with any other USB Key ?
- 8. How secure is the USB Key and its Time Stamp Clocking data ?
- 9. Can more than one TIMY Time and Attendance Systems be used with one TIMY-Soft application ?
- 10. How do I move the application and data from one PC to another ?
- 11. Will the memory contents of the Time and Attendance Clock be lost if the batteries run down ?
- 12. Can the Time and Attendance Clock display individual data to the Employees ?
- 13. Can the TIMY-System be used to open a door for access control ?
- 14. Can the Time and Attendance Clock unit be installed outdoors ?
- 15. Does the TIMY-Soft application run on all versions of Excel ?
- 16. What about Excel 2007, Excel 2010 or Excel 2013 - will my TIMY-Soft application run ?
- 17. Will TIMY-Soft work with OpenOffice.org ?
- 18. Will the TIMY-Soft application run on a MAC ?
- 19. Can the TIMY-Soft application run on a network server ?
- 20. Can Timesheets be modified by the employer ?
- 21. Can Timesheets be adapted or customised to show other calculations ?
1. Is the TIMY Time Attendance Clocking System limited to any number of Employees ?
Absolutely not. The basic TIMY-System is supplied with 25 badges, but more badges can be purchased as required. The
philosophy of the system is orientated to the needs of small and medium-size organisations.
Most customers have 10-100 Employees, but some customers have more than 250 Employees.
2. If I want to add more Employees to the system what costs are involved ?
For the software, none whatsoever as a software upgrade is not required. Unlike other system suppliers we do not limit
the software to a specific number of staff. The only requirement is an ID-Badge for each Employee registered on the
TIMY-System. Most other Time Attendance systems limit the number of staff (typically 50-100) and most systems increase
the license fees when users have more than 25 staff.
3. How are the badges numbered ?
The badges are pre-coded with unique barcodes, and we never produce two badges with the same code. The barcode and its
4-digit alphanumeric equivalent are printed on one side of the badge, making it is easy to identify. The link between
an employee and a badge is made within the TIMY-Soft application - the system user simply enters the badge code with the
employee name. An adhesive label with the employee's name can be placed on the reverse side of the badge.
4. What are the badge dimensions ?
The TIMY-System badges are the
same size as a bank or credit card and are made from the same material. The barcodes are printed on one side and the reverse
side is blank to be used for an adhesive label, if desired.
5. Can a former Employee's badge be re-used ?
Yes. When an Employee leaves, simply delete that person from the Time Clock software using the 'Delete Employee' function and
issue the returned badge to another Employee. Alternatively, if the departed person's data is to remain on file, replace the
badge number with a 'virtual' number that doesn't exist in the stock of badges. The returned badge can later be issued to a new
6. What happens if an Employee loses his badge ?
Issue the Employee with a new badge and change the Badge Number in the TIMY-Soft application using the 'Modify Employee'
function. If the lost badge is subsequently found, return it to stock for future use.
7. Can the Time and Attendance System's data be downloaded with any other USB Key ?
No. Whilst the supplied USB Key is a standard memory product it has a specific format type and 'volume' name; it also
contains a file of a particular type. Anyone who tries to download the memory contents of the Time and Attendance System
with an unauthorised USB Key will receive an error message on the Time Clock display. The Time Stamp Clocking data will
not be downloaded and cannot be deleted from the Time Attendance unit.
8. How secure is the USB Key and its Time Stamp Clocking data ?
The USB Key file containing the data from the Time Attendance Clock is securely encrypted and is unintelligible with
any computer file reader, such as MS-Notepad or MS-Word. The TIMY-Soft Application and Employee Timesheet data is very
strongly protected, like many other PC-based Time and Attendance System packages.
9. Can more than one TIMY Time and Attendance System be used with one TIMY-Soft application ?
Yes. We have supplied many customers with more than one Time and Attendance System. One USB Key can be used to download the data
from all Time Clocks, one after another, and then uploaded into TIMY-Soft at once. Alternatively, individual USB Keys can be used
if that is more practical. The Time Stamp file on the USB Key can also be sent as an e-mail attachment - useful if Time Clock
Recorders are installed at remote sites. Staff can also clock-in on one Time Clock Recorder and clock-out on a different Time
Clock Recorder and the TIMY-Soft application will assemble all of the data chronologically for each Employee.
10. How do I move the application and data from one PC to another ?
TIMY-Soft files are normally located at C:\BKS\, if the default was not changed during installation. Copy the entire contents
of the C:\BKS\ directory to the same directory on the new PC on which it is planned to run TIMY-Soft. Ensure that the Excel macros
are set correctly on the new PC and run the TIMY-Soft application. TIMY-Soft will now be using the existing data previously
available on the first PC. When the relocated TIMY-Soft is running satisfactorily on the second PC, delete the original files
from the old PC.
11. Will the memory contents of the Time and Attendance Clock be lost if the batteries run down ?
Absolutely not. The Time and Attendance System Clock uses "flash" memory - that's the same technology as USB Key memories.
Flash memory doesn't need any power to retain its data, so even if a Time and Attendance Clock is left for months without
batteries the data will not be lost. If the batteries are removed for more than a few minutes the
clock may require adjustment by using the supplied "Set Clock" badge.
12. Can the Time and Attendance Clock display individual data to the Employees ?
No. As with any offline Attendance Clocking Recorder, not directly connected to a computer, it is not possible to display
data such as the cumulative time worked in the current week or vacation days taken. However, these data are always available in
the TIMY-Soft application.
13. Can the TIMY-System be used to open a door for access control ?
14. Can the Time and Attendance Clock unit be installed outdoors ?
15. Does the TIMY-Soft application run on all versions of Excel ?
Yes. TIMY-Soft will run under all versions of Excel, back to Excel 97. However, not all versions of Excel are compatible
with all versions of Windows. The combinations that work correctly are:
Windows 98 SR2 with Excel 97
Windows 2000 with Excel 2000, 2002 and 2003
Windows XP with Excel 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 & 2010
Vista with Excel 2007 & 2010
Windows 7 - Windows 8 with Excel 2007, 2010 & 2013
16. What about Excel 2007, Excel 2010 or Excel 2013 - will my TIMY-Soft application run ?
Yes, if you are running TIMY-Soft version 1.15 or higher for Excel 2007/2010, or version 1.55 for Excel 2013. To take advantage of
new features in version 1.55, please contact us by e-mail.
17. Will TIMY-Soft work with OpenOffice.org ?
18. Will the TIMY-Soft application run on a MAC ?
No, due to differences in the compatibility between Excel "MAC" and Excel "Windows". In addition, MACs use a different method
for adressing external drives like USB Keys, and the TIMY-Soft macro that reads the Time Stamps from the USB Key does not function
with Excel "MAC".
19. Can the TIMY-Soft application run on a network server ?
Yes. TIMY-Soft system files can be installed on a shared network disk but MS-Excel files can only be accessed from one
PC at a time. Due to this Microsoft limitation, TIMY-Soft is not suitable as a multi-user application.
20. Can Timesheets be modified by the employer ?
TIMY-Soft Timesheets containing the Employee Time Stamps are password-protected and cannot be directly modified by the
System Manager or operator. TIMY-Soft allows manual adjustment of Time Stamps and these changes are automatically shown as
bold characters; the most recent version of TIMY-Soft also displays an audit record of when such changes were made. The System Manager
cannot circumvent this built-in process.
21. Can Timesheets be adapted or customised to show other calculations ?
Yes. The comprehensive TIMY-Soft User Manual has a technical section detailing many calculations that can be added,
with examples of formulae that can be used or adapted. In addition, we are able to customise the application to suit the
most complex requirements. The user can also purchase a software tool
that is dedicated to the customisation process, as an add-on module to the TIMY-Soft Excel application.