TIMY Time Attendance Clocking System :
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Is the TIMY Time Attendance Clocking System limited by the number of Employees ?
- 2. If I want to add more Employees to the system what costs are involved ?
- 3. How are the badges numbered ?
- 4. What are the badge dimensions ?
- 5. Can a former Employee's badge be re-used ?
- 6. What happens if an Employee loses his badge ?
- 7. Can the Time Attendance System data be downloaded with any other USB Key ?
- 8. How secure is the USB Key and its Time Stamp Clocking data ?
- 9. Can more than one TIMY Time Attendance Systems be used with one TIMY-Soft application ?
- 10. How do I move the application and data from one PC to another ?
- 11. Will the memory contents of the Time Attendance Clock be lost if the batteries run down ?
- 12. Can the Time Attendance Clock display individual data to the Employees ?
- 13. Can the TIMY-System be used to open a door for access control ?
- 14. Can the Time Attendance Clock unit be installed outdoors ?
- 15. Does the TIMY-Soft application run on all versions of Excel ?
- 16. What about Excel 2007, Excel 2010 or Excel 2013 - will my TIMY-Soft application run ?
- 17. Will TIMY-Soft work with OpenOffice.org ?
- 18. Will the TIMY-Soft application run on Apple computers ?
- 19. Can the TIMY-Soft application run on a network server ?
- 20. Can Attendance Timesheets be modified by the employer ?
- 21. Can Attendance Timesheets be adapted or customised to show other calculations ?
1. Is the TIMY Time Attendance Clocking System limited by the number of Employees ?
Not at all. The TIMY-System is supplied with 25 badges (or more as desired) and additional badges can be purchased when needed.
The philosophy of the system is orientated to the needs of small and medium-size organisations. Most customers have 10-100 Employees,
but some customers have more than 250 Employees.
2. If I want to add more Employees to the system what costs are involved ?
For the software, no costs are involved, and a software upgrade is not necessary, unlike many other system suppliers. We do not limit
the software to a specific number of staff and the only requirement is an ID-Badge for each Employee registered on the
TIMY-System. Many other Time Attendance systems have a limit on the number of staff (typically 50-100) and most suppliers charge for
additional software license fees when users have more than 25 staff. The TIMY-System has no effective limit on Employees.
3. How are the badges numbered ?
The badges are pre-coded with unique barcodes, and we never produce two badges with the same code. The barcode and its
4-digit alphanumeric equivalent are printed on one side of the badge, making it simple to identify. The link between
an employee and a badge is made within the TIMY-Soft application - the system user simply enters the Badge number with the
4. What are the badge dimensions ?
The TIMY-System badges are the
same size as a bank or credit card and are made from polyester. The barcodes are printed on one side and the reverse
side is blank to be used for an adhesive label, if desired.
5. Can a former Employee's badge be re-used ?
Yes. When an Employee leaves, simply delete that person from the Time Clock software and issue the returned badge to another Employee.
Alternatively, if the departed person's data is to remain on file, replace the badge number with a 'virtual' number that doesn't exist in
the stock of badges. The returned badge can later be issued to a new Employee.
6. What happens if an Employee loses his badge ?
Issue the Employee with a new badge and change the Employee Badge Number in the TIMY-Soft application, using the 'Modify
Employee' function. If the lost badge is subsequently found, return it to stock for future use.
7. Can the Time Attendance System data be downloaded with another USB Key ?
Not unless it has been formatted and prepared for use with the TIMY-System. The supplied USB Key is a standard product, but it
has a particular format type and a 'volume' name; it also contains a file of a specific type. Attempts to download the memory
contents of the Time Attendance System with an unauthorised, or incorrectly prepared, USB Key will display an error message on the TIMY
Time Clock recorder unit. The Time Stamp data will not be downloaded, and it also cannot be deleted from the Time Attendance unit.
By these methods, the TIMY-System is protected three ways from unauthorised data download and data access.
8. How secure is the USB Key and its Time Stamp Clocking data ?
The USB Key file containing the data from the Time Attendance Clock is securely encrypted and is unintelligible with
any computer file reader, such as MS-Notepad or MS-Word. The TIMY-Soft Application and Employee Timesheet data is also very
strongly protected by two levels of security, like many other PC-based Time Attendance System packages.
9. Can more than one TIMY Time Attendance System be used with one TIMY-Soft application ?
Yes. We have supplied major customers with many more than one Time Attendance System. One USB Key can be used to download the data
from all Time Clocks, one after another, and then uploaded into TIMY-Soft at once. Alternatively, individual USB Keys can be used
if that is more practical. The Time Stamp file on the USB Key can also be sent as an e-mail attachment - useful if Time Clock
Recorders are installed at remote sites. Staff can also clock-in on one Time Clock Recorder and clock-out on a different Time
Clock Recorder and the TIMY-Soft application will assemble all of the data chronologically for each Employee.
10. How do I move the application and data from one PC to a new PC ?
TIMY-Soft files are installed in a dedicated computer folder. Copy the entire contents of the installation folder to a new folder on
the new PC. Ensure that the Excel macros are set correctly on the new PC and run the TIMY-Soft application. TIMY-Soft will now be using
the existing data originally available on the first PC. When the relocated TIMY-Soft Application is running satisfactorily, delete the
TIMY-Soft files from the first PC. Ensure that the new PC Windows operating system has the
correct version of Excel.
11. Will the memory contents of the Time Attendance Clock be lost if the batteries run down ?
No. The Time Attendance System Clock uses "flash" memory, which is the same technology as USB Key memories. Flash memory doesn't need
any power to retain its data, so even if a Time Attendance Clock is left for months without batteries the data will not be lost. If the
batteries are removed for more than a few minutes the clock may
require minor adjustment by using the supplied "Set Clock" management badge.
12. Can the Time Attendance Clock display individual data to the Employees ?
No. As with any offline Time Attendance Clocking Recorder (not directly connected to a computer) it is not possible to display
time data such as the cumulative time worked. However, time sheet data are always available in the TIMY-Soft application.
13. Can the TIMY-System be used to open a door for access control ?
14. Can the Time Attendance Clock unit be installed outdoors ?
15. Does the TIMY-Soft application run on all versions of Excel ?
Yes. TIMY-Soft will run under all versions of Excel, back to Excel 97. However, not all versions of Excel are compatible
with all versions of Windows due to extensive changes made by the Microsoft. The combinations that work correctly for TIMY-Soft are:
Windows 98 SR2 with Excel 97
Windows 2000 with Excel 2000, 2002 & 2003
Windows XP with Excel 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 & 2010
Windows 7 with Excel 2007 & 2010
Windows 8 with Excel 2013
16. What about Excel 2007, Excel 2010 or Excel 2013 - will my TIMY-Soft application run ?
Yes, when you are running TIMY-Soft version 1.15 or higher for Excel 2007/2010, or version 1.55 for Excel 2013. To learn about the
new features and benefits in TIMY-Soft version 1.55, contact us by e-mail.
17. Will TIMY-Soft work with OpenOffice.org ?
18. Will the TIMY-Soft application run on Apple computers ?
No, due to differences in the compatibility between Excel "MAC" and Excel "Windows". In addition, Apple PCs use a different method
for adressing external drives like USB Keys, and the TIMY-Soft macro that reads the Time Stamps from the USB Key does not function
with Excel "MAC".
19. Can the TIMY-Soft application run on a network server ?
Yes. TIMY-Soft system files can be installed on a shared network disk but be aware that Excel files can only be accessed from one PC
at a time, due to a Microsoft limitation. TIMY-Soft is not suitable as a simultaneaous multi-user application.
20. Can Attendance Timesheets be modified by the employer ?
TIMY-Soft Attendance Timesheets containing the Employee Time Stamps are password-protected and cannot be directly modified by the
System Manager or operator. TIMY-Soft howover does allow manual adjustment of Time Stamps under software management, and these changes
are automatically shown as bold characters on Timesheets. Recent versions of TIMY-Soft also display an audit record of when any changes
were made. The Employer's System Manager cannot circumvent this built-in process.
21. Can Attendance Timesheets be adapted or customised to show other calculations ?
Yes. The comprehensive TIMY-Soft User Manual has a technical section detailing many calculations that can be added,
with examples of formulae that can be used. In addition, T-Data is able to customise the application to suit the most complex requirements.
The user can also purchase a software tool
(TY-Forms module) that is dedicated to the customisation process, as an add-on module to the TIMY-Soft application.